Mayor’s Community Update: April 15, 2022
What a great week in the Borough! So many exciting things going on in our community. It feels great to be getting back to normal! Please be sure to support all our wonderful local establishments and SHOP NP for all your everyday and upcoming holiday needs!
Here’s a catch up of what’s going on in New Providence:
- – We welcomed the Easter Bunny and Mrs. Easter Bunny to New Providence at the Lions 53rd Annual Easter Egg Hunt at Oakwood Park last Saturday Saturday. Read more: tapinto.net/towns/new-providence/categories/news/articles/photo-gallery-lions-club-53rd-annual-easter-egg-hunt
- – Wed April 11th was National Pet Day dedicated to honor our pets and those pets who may not always get the companionship and attention pets deserve. If you are thinking about a pet, please consider adopting a rescue! Pet Owners please take this time to ensure your pets’ vaccines and licenses are up to date.
- On-line Pet License Application:
- To download Pet License Application: newprov.org/download/Board%20of%20Health/rabies_clinic/2022_pet_license_form/2022-Pet-Licensing-revised.pdf
- REMINDER – Storm Drains are NOT Sewers. Please DO NOT throw pet waste bags into storm drains or catch basins. The bags are getting caught in in the drains and pipes, making it very difficult for our DPW Department to keep them clear. Please clean up after your pets and dispose of the bags in the garbage.
- – Our Police Department Traffic Safety Bureau and Department of Public Works has completed sign upgrades and installations along Central Avenue. The speed limit on Central Avenue, between Maple Street and the Chatham Township line, has been reduced to 30MPH (from 40MPH). This section of Central Avenue has residential, commercial, industrial, and school traffic that traverse it daily. Drivers are reminded to share the road with pedestrians and bicycles! New Jersey’s Safe Passage law requires that drivers give a minimum four foot safety zone when passing bicycles and walkers. If you cannot provide a four foot safety zone you must slow your vehicle to 25MPH. Please do your part and set a good example, be aware, drive with care, and DO NOT SPEED IN OUR COMMUNITY!
- – Distracted Driver Campaign continues. SAFETY FIRST! PUT DOWN THE PHONE WHEN YOU DRIVE! This is being very strictly enforced! UDrive. UText. UPay. Read more: newprov.org/2022/03/distracted-driver-enforcement-campaign/
- – Utility upgrades are continuing around the Borough. Please continue to expect delays and detours. The utility companies are not always the best at keeping us informed when/where they will be working or for how long. We continually communicate on our end including best times (least traffic disruption) and paving schedules etc. Please be patient while this important work continues.
- – The DPW will be distributing free useable shopping bags during normal recycling hours (9 AM – 1 PM) on Saturday, April 16 at the Public Works yard located at 4 Park Place off of Commonwealth Avenue (next to Oakwood Park). As a reminder, the NJ bag ban goes into effect on May 4 – you must bring your own shopping bags once the ban goes into effect. Read more: newprov.org/2022/04/free-reusable-bag-giveaway-at-dpw-yard-april-16/
- – Grass, brush, and garden debris will be collected in separate garbage cans without lids borough-wide on MONDAYS through Dec 12th. newprov.org/2022/04/reminder-grass-brush-collection-begins-april-1/
- – The Vigil for Ukraine has been postponed. As soon as our Interfaith Clergy Council reschedules we will let you know. In the meantime please continue to keep the people of Ukraine and all their loved ones in your thoughts and prayers. We stand with Ukraine.
- – We presented proclamations to our NP/GL High School Hockey Team for winning the State Championship at the 4/12 Council meeting. Read more: tapinto.net/towns/new-providence/sections/government/articles/new-providence-council-celebrates-winning-hockey-and-basketball-teams-recognizes-public-safety-telecommunicators
- – We presented proclamations to the NPHS Girls Varsity Basketball Team for winning the Union County Championship at the 4/12 Council meeting. Read more: tapinto.net/towns/new-providence/sections/government/articles/new-providence-council-celebrates-winning-hockey-and-basketball-teams-recognizes-public-safety-telecommunicators
- – We presented a proclamation to Coach Mike Criscitello for being named State Coach of Year. Outstanding!
- – In Celebration of 🌎 Earth Day (April 22nd) we are giving away free reusable shopping bags at our Recreation Department Office M-F 8:30am-4:30pm while supplies last. Free reusable shopping bags will also be distributed at some events where noted (including this Sat 4/16 9am-1pm at the DPW yard 4 Park Place). It’s Earth Day everyday at Trailside 452 New Providence Road Mountainside. Admission and parking are free. (For more information please visit ucnj.org/trailside). For more information about Earth Day please visit newprov.org/2022/04/earth-day-april-22/
- – Our Memorial Day Parade will be back in-person along Springfield Ave on Monday May 30th 10am in cooperation with the American Legion Post #433. For more details or if your group is interested in marching this year please email email@example.com or call (908)464-4430.
- – May is Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month. In addition to the many influences of AAPI including cultural food, is fitness and wellness culture, including yoga, martial arts, and acupuncture. Our Diversity Committee is planning an AAPI Culture and Food Month as well as Restaurant Week. Stay tuned for more details!
- – Our Recreation Department is a-buzz with exciting activities! Read more: newprov.org/recreation. Please also keep up to date with Recreation Community Activities at newprov.org/community-events
- – The Borough will be hosting and sponsoring a July 3rd celebration! This is a return to our great tradition of family and fun to celebrate our Country’s Independence. Stay tuned for details!
- – NPCOVID19 update for this past week: Community Level thankfully has remained LOW.
- – Mayor and Council In A Minute Update: newprov.org/2022/04/april-12-council-in-a-minute
- – NPTV Schedule: sites.google.com/npsdnj.org/cook-nptv/nptv-schedule
- – Smart911 Community Alert System: newprov.org/2022/04/register-today-for-smart-911/
- – New Providence Memorial Library:
UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:
April 16th – 9am-1pm Recycling at the DPW Yard. *Free reusable shopping bags will be available! newprov.org/2022/03/free-reusable-bag-giveaway-at-dpw-yard-april-16/
April 16th – 9am-12pm Scrap metal will be accepted at two drop-off centers for Union County Residents:
* Cranford: Emergency Services Building, 151 Kenilworth Boulevard
* Rahway: Rahway River Park (follow Park Drive, Rahway off St. Georges Avenue to service yard across from swimming pool) newprov.org/2022/03/union-county-scrap-metal-recycling-events-thurs-april-7-and-sat-april-16/
April 21st – 6pm New Providence Historical Society Annual Dinner at Chimney Rock
April 22nd – 9am-1pm Paper Shredding Event newprov.org/2022/03/free-paper-shredding-event-in-plainfield-on-april-22/
April 23rd – 10am-2pm Free Tree Sapling Give Away at the New Providence Library. *Free reusable shopping bags will be available! newprov.org/2022/03/free-seedling-giveaway/
April 23rd – 8am-4pm Gun Turn-In Event at Calvary Assembly Church 242 Shunpike Road Springfield No questions asked. Amnesty program. newprov.org/2022/03/union-county-gun-turn-in-event-in-springfield-on-april-23
April 26th – 7pm on Zoom: “The Psychological Impact of Covid on Adolescents:
Managing Threat in an Age of Anxiety” hosted by New Providence HS.,The presentation will be conducted by Dr. Dan Villiers and Stacy Santacroce from the
Anxiety Institute in Madison, NJ. Read more: www.npsd.k12.nj.us/cms/lib/NJ01001216/Centricity/Domain/1/New%20Providence%20Consortium%20Program%20-%20April%202022.docx.pdf
April 26th – *8pm Borough Council Meeting in Council Chambers at Borough Hall. *Please note the later time for this council meeting only newprov.org/2022/04/borough-of-new-providence-sunshine-notice-2/ You can also watch livestream at youtube.com/channel/UCZzCgFvlBgpSfW-JEVRMXsA
April 30th – 9am-2pm P.A.C.T. Community Day at the Municipal Building including: Operation Take Back (receiving any unused or expired medications), Car Seat Installations (NP Residents only), Police Trading Card Signing, Blue Angel/Blue Guardian Program Information, Providing Gun Locks, and Fraud Protection Information.
May 4th – NJ Plastic Bag Ban begins! newprov.org/2022/03/nj-bag-ban-law-to-take-effect-may-4/
May 7th – 8am-11am Fishing Derby at Oakwood Park. newprov.org/2022/03/2022-trout-fishing-derby
May 7th – 9am-3pm Salt Box Craft Fair outside the Salt Box Museum 1350 Springfield Ave. Crafts, bake sale, and free tours of the museum.
May 30th 10am Memorial Day Parade along Springfield Ave
June 5: NJ Sharing Network Annual 5K
June 11th – 9am-3pm New Providence Flea Market outside at the Salt Box Museum 1350 Springfield Ave with a wide array of venerable treasures hosted by the New Providence Historical Society
June 25th – Race Unity Day hosted by our Diversity in New Providence, NJ Committee. Read more tapinto.net/towns/new-providence/articles/new-providence-4th-annual-race-unity-day-set-for-june-25
July 3rd – Borough Celebration of Independence Day. Details coming soon!
August 2nd – 6pm National Night Out sponsored by New Providence PBA Local 132
Sept 17th – 9am-3pm New Providence Book Festival at the Salt Box Museum 1350 Springfield Ave
Oct 1st- 8:00am 5th Annual PBA Local 132 Car Show New Providence Community Pool Parking Lot
October 15-16 – Union County Four Centuries in a Weekend event
Website – newprov.org
Facebook – @newprovnj
Twitter – @newprovnj
Have a great weekend! Wishing all who celebrate: Happy Passover! Happy Easter! Happy Ramadan! Happy Vaisakhi! We are Pioneer Strong!
– Mayor Al Morgan